Search This Blog

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Bromine is Element # 35

A reddish-brown bromine
It's me bromine here

1. My name bromine comes from the Greek word "bromos" meaning "stench".My name in German is "Brom", in Italian is "Bromo", and in French is "Brome".


2. I am a diatomic, non-metallic liquid element. I have reddish-brown colour and my vapors are regarded as corrosive and toxic.





nucleus of bromine


3.The nucleus of my most common isotope contains 35 protons and 45 neutrons. My naturally stable isotopes are 79Br and 81Br.I have two half- lives isotopes called  77Br which lasts  2.376 days and 82Br with 1.471 days. My natural abundance of isotopes are 50.69% of  79Br and 49.31% of 81Br. My average atomic mass is 79.9 u. 

electrons of bromine








4.I have 35 electrons in a neutral atom of my element and I have 2,8,18,7 electrons from the inner to outer shell.









atomic radius of bromine





5.My atomic radius in meters is 1.15x10-10






Melting point of elements



6.My properties in my pure elemental form are 
1)melting point-19F
2)boiling point-137.8F
3)element category-halogen
4)an insulator
5)density-3.1023 grams per cubic centimeters
6)liquid at room temperature 20C
7) highly reactive




My abundance in the whole world






7. My abundance in my body is 0.164575 grams. My abundance in our Universe is 7 parts per billion by weight and in the Earth's crust is 2.4 parts per million by weight.







8. The compounds I formed are 
Bromine trifluoride
Calcium bromide

Bromine dioxide








My discoverer Balard


9.I was discovered by Antoine J Balard at 1826 in France.The exams on bromine of Lowig over the summer helps Balard in discovering it.




The tablets used as toxic



10.It's a sad news that I am not a good guy in human society.
1)I should be treated as toxic but excessive of me would leads to depression and of weight loss.
2)My vapors can attack the eyes and lungs with painful effects
3)I am used to make plastic flame retardant,pesticides,water purification, dyes,etc.   






11The funny jokes I have heard about bromine is :
     "You are looking down in the mouth today" said one Potassium bromide to anther.
     "Yep, we both are called to help an ailment through an alimentary canal today." replies the other one
     "But I'm not sure I can stomach the thought!" 
     "We will have to; its the process of elimination that does the trick with us"
     "That's my gut feeling as well."
     "Well, see you in the colon. Bye"

12.The references: www.webelements.com
                            www.google.com
                            www.yahoo.com
                            www.wikipedia.org

No comments:

Post a Comment